If you are wondering how to become a urologist, you will need to get a Bachelor of Science in Medical Science or Sciences with a minimum of a 3-year internship. First it is useful to know exactly who a urologist is. A urologist is a doctor that specializes in the urinary system including the bladder, kidneys, urethra, prostate, and other male reproductive systems. It is not unusual for urologists to work in the trauma room, or emergency room as well as a general hospital. The job of a urologist can be very interesting but very challenging because they handle a lot of bodily fluids.
- A urologist has the job of treating and preventing urinary problems by working in the various stages of the disease. This may include removing the prostate and doing surgeries on kidney stones. A urologist is also likely to work closely with a pathologist who deals with the pathogenic organisms that cause diseases as well as evaluating and diagnosing the symptoms related to those diseases.
- Once a diagnosis has been made, a treatment plan can be formulated to meet the needs of the patient. A urologist and the top dermatologist in Dubai often treats urinary disorders during a brief visit to the office where they will perform a physical examination and review of the symptoms.
- Once the condition has been diagnosed, the urologist will develop a treatment plan to relieve the symptoms, manage complications if present, and prevent recurrence.
- Many doctors feel that urology is unnecessary unless there is some type of obstruction in the urinary system. Others argue that UTI’s are inevitable and it is an insignificant part of the overall process of the urinary system. Whichever point of view you weigh, it concurs with the necessity of its management.
- All urologists must undergo specialized certification before they become so famous that their names should pop up when searching for urologist near me. There are two types of certifications available through the Joint Commission On Accreditation of Urologists (JCAU). Each type requires an exam and written evidence of prior experience in a specific specialty.
Candidates for certification may include urologists who have completed the certification program or who have passed the state board exam. Both certifications require that a minimum number of hours of practical training and completed clinical training are achieved. Once licensed, urologists can treat men sexually related to their patients. There are some differences between how these doctors treat men and women.